8 Dec 2016

Trial of former NSA, Dasuki adjourned till January 25, 2017

Image result for images of dasuki
The trial of former National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki, which was supposed to begin yesterday, has been put off till January 25th, 2017

The embattled retired Colonel is charged with alleged misappropriation of $2.1 billion which was meant for the purchase of arms for the fight against Boko Haram insurgency.

The adjournment of the trial followed the absence of one of the defendants in the trial, Mr Salisu Shuaibu, a former Director of Finance and Account in the office of the National Security Adviser, who was said to be sick.

The he prosecution counsel, Mr Oluwaleke Atolagbe, informed Justice Baba Yusuf that he had been served with the medical report of the defendant confirming that he had been hospitalised.

Mr Atolagbe told the court that the trial could not proceed in the absence of the defendant and therefore applied for a short adjournment pending the recovery of the defendant.

Counsel to Shuaibu, apologised for the absence of his client. Lawyers to other defendants in the suit did not object to the application for adjournment on the ground that Mr Salisu had always been present in court since the charge was filed against them.

Justice Yusuf in his brief ruling, agreed that since the charge was filed, the second defendant had never been absent in court and that for that reason, the court is obliged to grant the request for the adjournment and subsequently adjourned to January 25, 2017.

Due to Shuabu's illness, Justice Yusuf also adjourned a second case against the defendants which was transferred from Justice Peter Affen to January 24, 2017 for mention.

Update! Judge earns N24m annually, spent N500m in 10 months secretly

The Federal Government had said investigations had shown that a top Justice of the Supreme Court, Justice Sylvester Ngwuta, spent over N500m between just January and October 2016 despite his total annual legitimate earnings, including his allowances being N24million.

How is the judge making Hundreds of Millions without any other job?

This was disclosed in a document prepared by the prosecuting counsel, Mr. Charles Adeogun-Philips, summarising the case of the prosecution against the Justice of the Supreme Court, who was on November 21, 2016, arraigned before a Federal High Court in Abuja.

During his arraignment, Ngwuta pleaded not guilty to 16 counts, including money laundering and others relating to fraudulent obtainment of multiple passports.

The document stated that the case brought against the judge, “chronicles corrupt enrichment, violations of the money laundering laws of our land, passport fraud, and an attempt to obstruct justice by a judicial officer.”

The prosecution alleged that from the N500m, the apex court justice transferred dollar equivalent of N313m cash in $100 bills to a building contractor within the period of nine months between January and September, 2016, to “develop several landed properties” for him.

It explained that earlier in 2015, the defendant, within a period of one month, made various cash payments totalling $180,000 to the building contractor.

It also alleged that during the raid on the defendant’s Abuja house by the operatives of the Department of State Services on October 7, 2016, total sums of N38.358m, $319,596 and £25,915 were found in his possession.

According to the prosecution, the Justice of the apex court gave no satisfactory explanation for the huge sums of money found in his possession.

Prosecutor’s documentThe document partly read, “Another witness will testify before this court that the defendant’s total annual income, including allowances in 2016 amounted to approximately N24,000,000.

It beggars belief how a serving public servant could have under his direct control, in a 10-month period spanning between January and October alone, cash sums in excess of N500,000,000.”

Adeogun-Philips said proposed prosecution witnesses would also appear in court to testify over the huge funds found in possession of the defendant, among other allegations.

The document stated, “In the course of this trial, the Federal Republic of Nigeria will adduce evidence from a building contractor engaged by the defendant, as to how in a period of nine months, spanning between January and September 2016, he received the total sum of N313,000,000 from the defendant in cash, which was paid to him mostly in $100 bills to develop landed properties for the defendant.

“This court will also hear from another witness, how in his capacity as an architect engaged by the defendant in 2015, he received from the defendant within a period of one month, various cash payments totalling $180,000.

“Investigators will further tell this honourable court how during a search at his residence on October 7, 2016, cash totalling: (1) N35,358,000 (2) $319,956 and £25,915 were found in the defendant’s possession.”

The prosecution alleged that the defendant had betrayed “the judicial oath of allegiance to discharge his duties as a Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, faithfully, with honesty, and to the best of his abilities”, which he swore to on June 23, 2011 when he was promoted to the Supreme Court bench.

The trial judge, Justice John Tsoho, adjourned till January 16, 2017, for the prosecution to start calling its witnesses.

Lawyer Adeogun-Philips added, “The court will, in the course of this trial, hear how the defendant, having been confronted with the maze of evidence against him, following the search of his official residence in Abuja and his subsequent arrest on October 7, 2016, and oblivious of being under DSS surveillance, prevailed on a potential prosecution witness following his release on administrative bail on October 9, 2016, to remove from his bathroom at his private residence in Ebonyi State several bags containing several land title documents and the sum of N27m cash.

“The evidence will also reveal how the defendant ordered the same witness to remove three luxury vehicles from his residence following which the said vehicles were subsequently concealed at various locations in Ebonyi State in an attempt to obstruct ongoing investigations in this case.”

Police arrests man for stealing over 1,000 Bags of Rice worth N6.5m

Image result for images of bags of rice

A 35-year-old Olatubosun Soyelu, who allegedly stole 1,089 bags of rice was Wednesday arraigned before a Lagos magistrate’s court in Igbosere.

The rice valued at N6.5 million belonged to Christlieb Plc and Brands Capital Ltd. The defendant is facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and theft.

The prosecutor, SP Eshiet Eshiet, told the court that he committed the offence between February and June, 2016 at Block G, Sura shopping complex, Sampson Street, Lagos.

According to him, the offence was punishable under Sections 285 and 267 of the criminal law of Lagos State 2011.

However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The magistrate, O. Martins granted him bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum. One of the sureties must be blood relation and gainfully employed and also show two years evidence of tax payment clearance to Lagos state.



Woman leaves her kids, age 2 &1 alone to elope with lover for nine days and one dies...photo

A mother has left her one-year-old son to starve to death and his two-year-old sister alone with the body for nine days while she went out with her lover.

Vladislava Podchapko's youngest, Daniil, a boy aged 23 months, died from hunger after six days.

Her daughter, Anna, two months short of her third birthday, remained alone in the flat with her brother's body for another three days.

The 20-year-old mother left them only candles when she locked them in her flat in central Kiev, the Ukrainian capital, before vanishing for nine days.

The girl was rushed to hospital on the point of death from starvation.

Miraculously, she is expected to survive.

"The girl was exhausted, she was very weak," said a doctor involved in her treatment.

"She was immediately taken into hospital where we started intravenous feeding.

"She is better now and we can say that she will live. We have started her on tiny amounts of solid food."

The mother has been detained and faces up to eight years in prison for child neglect.
Confronted by police, she replied: "I didn't know that children could die."

The frightened and confused children had tried to escape from the locked flat, pulling and tearing the linoleum by the front door.

Neighbours heard the children crying in the morning and evening, and there were unconfirmed claims they had called the police, who failed to respond.

In any event, the stranded children received no help, and are believed to have been found when their mother finally returned.

Police were then called.

Vladislava's social media account is full of pictures of her children from before the incident, and messages of love to them.

Ukrainian children rights envoy, Nikolay Kuleba, said the mother had taken her children out of a kindergarten.

But social services were reported to have failed to follow-up on any problems.

She had an iPhone 6 so did not seem short of money.

The children are from her previous marriage, and she since found a new boyfriend, and became pregnant by him.

Anna's future will be decided by social care workers.

"Perhaps she will be sent to an orphanage, or given for adoption, or if her father can look after her, she may go to him," said a source.

Social media comments on her page demand that Vladislava should face the death penalty for neglecting her children.

They express "disgust" at her actions in leaving her son and daughter alone.

See the world's fattest woman booked for a surgery in India ...photo

A woman believed to be the world's fattest,a 78 stone woman is leaving her home for the first time in 25 years to have life-saving weight reduction surgery.

Iman Ahmad Abdulati, 26 - who tips the scales at over half a tonne (over 78.7 stone) - is to fly to India from her home in Alexandria, Egypt, after one of the world's leading bariatric surgeons volunteered to treat her.

But Iman's op was almost grounded before it began after immigration officials at India's embassy in Cairo refused to believe she was too big to visit to make her visa application.

Indian law requires visa applicants allow immigration police to take their fingerprints.

They only backed down when surgeon Dr Muffazzal Lakdawala used Twitter to contact India's External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj to ask for help.

His tweet read: "Ma'am, Eman Ahmed (Egypt) 500kgs requested me 2 save her pls help me get her a medical visa as refused thru normal process @SushmaSwaraj"

He explained later: "Iman can't move because of her condition, and due to her weight, it is near impossible to move her."

He added: "But the Indian Embassy in Cairo wasn't ready to accept it.

"The officers thought that the family was bluffing and kept asking the family members to bring Iman to the embassy to scan her fingerprint.

"They didn't pay any heed to the family's requests and, as a result, Iman's visa was rejected."

The Minister replied to the doctor's tweet immediately and the visa request was granted and everything could go forward. She said: "Thanks for bringing this to my notice. We will definitely help her."

Now, however, the medic is struggling with the mammoth problem of getting Iman to Mumbai this week for a series of ops that could last a year.

He told local media he plans to - at first - use a bariatric balloon to fill up part of Iman's digestive tract.

The doctor reckons she could lose as much as 62 stone in two years.

He said: "Due to her heavy weight, we can't bring her in a normal plane, so we are trying to arrange a private chartered flight instead."

The plane will have to be refitted with a reinforced bed because Iman's weight makes it impossible for her to sit upright in a chair.

At home, she relies on her mother and sister Chaymaa Abdulati to help her with everyday tasks like eating, getting dressed, washing and going to the bathroom.

Nolllywood Actor Kenneth Okonkwo AND wife testify at Shiloh

Kenneth Okonkwo and his wife, Ifeoma Okonkwo tonight testified at the ongoing 2016 Shiloh at Canaan land. Recall the couple had waited for 9 years without a child before finally having a son in May.

Check out Comedian Seyi Law's cute daughter ...photo

Seyi Law shared the beautiful photo on Instagram, she's so cute...

Check out Ooni of Ife's one year Coronation anniversary...photo

The Ooni of Ife Wednesday celebrated his first year on the throne. Some of the faces at the coronation anniversary were former president Olusegun Obasanjo, Professor Wole Soyinka, and a host of others. 
More photos below...




Woman chops off husband's p*nis for not sleeping with her ...photo

Ghasi Ram, 37, who lives with his wife, Manjhri Devi, 34, has cut off his penis after his wife refused his sexual advances when he came home drunk.
In a fit of rage, the father of three got a knife from the kitchen and cut off his male member before collapsing on the floor. A doctor was summoned after his panicked wife screamed for help.


Mr Ram has blamed his wife for his action, saying;
“We have not had sex for the last ten or twelve years. She would never make love to me. She will not sit close to me and always refuses my demands."
Manjhri denied her husband’s claim, stating that he came home most nights drunk and never cared about her.
“'I just simply said no to him as he was drunk and I was very angry with him. Now he is blaming me for all this when I have done nothing.”
The couple who live in a village in Uttar Pradesh in northern India, have been married for 18 years and have two children - a girl and two boys.

Boyfriend stabs lover to death for refusing to make him ‘next-of-kin’ to her account in Rivers state ...photo

Officials of the Department for State Security DSS in Rivers state yesterday arraigned one Sotonye Martin, the boyfriend to a female staff of Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, Sophia Phillips Horsefall, and two others, Innocent Oluche and Wachukwu Ugochukwu, before a Port Harcourt magistrate court, for allegedly stabbing her to death on November 8th after she refused to make him, Sotonye, her next-of-kin to her bank account as well as her refusal to give him one million (N1 million) he had demanded from her.

According to Vanguard, Sotonye who has a 13 year old child with the deceased, lured her to his friend, Innocent Oluche's house where she was killed. After the act, the men dug a shallow grave, invited Wachukwu Ugochukwu, a spiritualist to perform some rituals and then buried her.

Counsel to the DSS, C.S. Eze told the court that the accused were brought before the court on a three-count charge which included “stabbing to death with a jack knife and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 316 and punishable under Section 319 of the Criminal Code Law, Laws of Rivers State 1999.”

The accused persons did not take plea. Chief Magistrate F. Alikor after hearing the submission of the DSS Counsel, referred the casefile to the state Director of Public Prosecution, saying her court did not have jurisdiction to entertain matters over murder which was the second charge.

She ordered that the suspects be remanded in prison and adjourned the case indefinitely. Speaking to newsmen after the case was adjourned, elder brother to the deceased, Amatu Phillips, accused Sotonye of murdering his sister whom he had dated for 13 years, because of her wealth.

He claimed she had some money in her account and confided in the boyfriend who later kept on pestering her for financial support. According to him, after the sister had allegedly given him money several times, he came again demanding for N1 million which she refused. He alleged that the boyfriend later lured her to his friend’s house, offered her a fruit juice drink which, unknown to the sister, was drugged.

He alleged that when the boyfriend noticed that she was dizzy from effect of the drug, he stabbed her on the neck, demanding her ATM card and password.

He claimed the boyfriend had before that day persuaded his sister to change the name of her next of kin on her bank details to his name.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...